Sunday, April 8, 2012

Creamy Buttery Prawns

Entries in My Other Blogs :



I am so used to making things in small batches for fear that there be wastage; like whenever I bake, I always reduce the quantities of the ingredients by half.  This is even more so when I prepare dishes.  The main reason for this is, most of my family members have very local taste buds and are open to very few western dishes or new ones!


I wanted to try something new with the prawns I bought at the Saturday market but I know it will not go down well with my family.  So, I decided to give a twist to my previous recipe i.e. Perfect Planta Prawns, which was a bit simple, in a way.  This time around I added a few spices and provided it with a little gravy!  The dish is really very aromatic!
  • 300g prawns, heads removed
  • 2 shallots *
  • 3 cloves garlic *
  • 1tsp fennel seeds *
  • 1tsp cumin seeds *
  • 1tsp coriander seeds *
  • 2 red chili *
  • 5 birds eye chili *
  • 1 spring curry leaves
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1tsp cider vinegar
  • 100g butter
  • 2tbs vegetable oil
  • 2tsp sugar
  • Salt to taste

Blitz all the ingredients labeled (*) in a blender.  The spices should be slightly coarse.  Marinade the prawns in the mixture for about 30 minutes.  Then heat the vegetable oil and fry the prawns until half cooked.  Reserve the marinade.  Dish out and set aside.

In the same pan, melt the butter and saute the curry leaves.  Then add in the reserved marinade and fry until aromatic and slightly dry.  Season this mixture with the sugar and salt, then pour in the milk.  Put in the semi-cooked prawns and simmer until prawns are totally cooked.  Before dishing out, add the cider vinegar.  Serve hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment