Sunday, April 1, 2012

Chicken and Portobello Strudel


I just got back from Seremban.  I guess age is catching up with me because the one and a half hour drive to Gemas has taken its toll on my energy.  Upon reaching home, I found myself tired and not in the mood to do anything but to lie down and take a nap.

My wife asked me what we would be having for dinner and I tried to dismiss the thought of having her (with my help, of course!) cooking rice, frying vegetables and prepare one gravy with fish or chicken.  That would be tedious!  Suddenly, I found back my energy when the thought of preparing something simple came to my mind.  And after much thought (not!) I decided to make Chicken and Portobello Strudel!
  • 5 pieces filo pastry
  • 1 cup diced cooked chicken
  • 6 portobello mushrooms, diced
  • 3 tomatoes, diced
  • 1 Spanish onion, diced
  • 1 clove garlic, chopped
  • 50g butter, melted
  • 1/2 tsp white pepper
  • 1 tsp chili flakes
  • 2 tbs vegetable oil

Heat vegetable oil in a pan and saute the onion and garlic.  When aromatic add in the chili flakes.  Add the mushrooms and tomatoes followed by the diced chicken.  Season with white pepper and a bit of salt.  Don't over-salt because this strudel is served with some gravy.  Cook the mixture until it is almost dry.  Dish out and cool completely.  Lay out a piece of filo pastry and brush with melted butter.  Lay another piece on top and repeat process until all the pastry is used up.  Place the filling in the center of the pastry and roll like you would a spring roll!  Place on a baking tray and brush strudel with some butter.  Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200 C for 15 to 20 minutes.  Serve hot.

Onion gravy :
  • 5 Spanish onions, caramelized
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 1/2 tsp cornflour
  • Salt and pepper

Cook the caramelized onions in the chicken stock until the onions disintegrate.  Thicken the gravy with cornflour slurry and season with salt and pepper.  Serve with the strudel.

No comments:

Post a Comment