Monday, April 16, 2012

Spongebob's Enchiladas


No!  I didn't get this recipe from the Sponge that lives in a pineapple under the sea!  This is just a namesake of Spongebob Squarepants.  What actually happened was, my daughter saw one of Spongebob's episode on television one day, and the yellow sponge kept repeating the name of the dish he was eating!  Enchiladas!  Enchiladas!  She kept asking me what it was (she pronounced it wrongly initially, so I didn't know what she was saying!) and knowing that it was something that can be eaten she wanted to make some!

Fortunately there was a repeat of that particular episode and my daughter forced me to watch the programme.   I managed to find out the name of the food because the word 'Enchilada' was written on the dish Spongebob was holding.  So, I scoured through the internet looking for a simple Enchilada recipe and finally came upon one in Allrecipes.com. which I adapted.
  • 4 potato Tortilla
  • 250g chicken meat, cubed
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 1 red capsicum, diced
  • 1 garlic, chopped
  • Salt and pepper for seasoning
  • 250g mozzarella cheese
  • 3tbs vegetable oil
  • some sweet chili sauce

Heat 2 tbs vegetable oil in a pan and saute the onion and garlic until aromatic.  Put in the chicken meat and cook until tender.  Then put in the red capsicum and season with salt and pepper.  Dish out and set aside to cool.

Lay a piece of the tortilla and put about 2tbs of the chicken meat filling along the center.  Tear pieces of mozzarella and put onto the filling.  Roll the tortilla and place in a greased dish, seam side down.  Continue with the rest of the tortillas.  When all the tortillas has been rolled, tear more mozzarella and strew all over the top of the enchilada.  And for my personal version, I squeezed sweet chili sauce over it!  Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 C for about 30 minutes.  Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment