Friday, April 27, 2012

Velvet Cheese Brownies

Entries in My Other Blogs :


I actually didn't dare put the word 'Red' in front of velvet because the cake did not really turn out to be red.  In any case, I purposely put in less of the red coloring because I don't like too much coloring in my food, even cakes (unless if I really have to!)  It's not even pink like anymz's recipe!  And I also omitted the word 'marble' (as Izahdaut puts in her recipe) because mine didn't have any marbling!  

Anyway, I went ahead with making the brownies because I just like the way it looked in anymz's blog and that it would make a nice potluck contribution for our form six teachers' do!  Unfortunately, I heard much later that a few other teachers hinted about not getting the brownies!  Well my friends, Insya Allah, I will make some more and let you have a taste, too.

(I must admit though, I adapted the making of this cake/brownie according to my own lazy ways!  My apologies! Hehe!)
  • 125g + 1 tbs cake flour/superfine
  • 1/2 tsp salt (I omitted it)
  • 60g butter (I used margarine)
  • 100g caster sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
  • 120ml milk
  • 1/2 tbs lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp red food coloring (I used slightly less)
  • 1/4 tsp chocolate emulco
  • 1/2 tsp vinegar (I omitted it)
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder

Cheese layer :
  • 200g cream cheese
  • 1 egg
  • 60g caster sugar
  • 1 tbs lemon juice

Sift the flour and baking powder.  Set aside.  Meanwhile mix the milk, chocolate emulco and red food coloring.  Cream the sugar and butter then add in the egg and vanilla essence.  Stir in the flour mix alternating with the milk mixture in three batches.  Set aside 1 tbs of the batter and pour the rest into a greased and lined (let the baking parchment hang from the sides of the tin to make it easier to take out the cake)  Bake in a pre-heated oven at 170 C for about 25 minutes.  Once baked, set aside.


Meanwhile prepare the cheese layer.  Beat the cheese until creamy followed by the sugar.  Once the sugar is well incorporated, mix in the egg and the lemon juice.  Spread this cheese mix onto the baked cake.  Then pipe the reserved batter on the cheese layer to form a marbled design.  Bake at 160 C for about 30 minutes.  Once cooked, wait till the cake is completely cool before slicing.  Enjoy!










No comments:

Post a Comment