Thursday, April 5, 2012

No-Bake Strawberry Cheesecake



I have always been intimidated by this no-bake cheesecake, even though I have made quite a few baked ones (recipes to follow in the near future, God willing!)  It's just I have always been apprehensive about the use of gelatin in the making of desserts.  And thus I shied away from such recipes!

But, my curiousity got the better of me the other day, and I really wanted to find out if I could make a no-bake cheesecake of my own.  Another reason I have never attempted this sort of cheesecake is because of the use of double cream.  It is quite difficult to get double cream over here, and to buy it from a supermarket that is two-hours drive away from here (four hours if you consider to and fro!) just doesn't make any sense!

But make it I did!  And thanks to Noraini Zakaria for the recipe (sorry! as usual I tweaked the recipe a bit!)
  • 1 8-inch vanilla sponge cake 
  • 250g cream cheese (Next time I know better to use Philadelphia!)
  • 120g caster sugar
  • 15g gelatin 
  • 60ml water (I used strawberry puree) 
  • 200ml whipping cream
  • 7 strawberries, diced
  • 1tsp strawberry emulco

Line a springform cake tin with the vanilla sponge (I baked the vanilla sponge in the tin and just left it there! Lazy me!) Whip the cream until soft peaks and keep in the fridge while preparing the rest of the cake.  Beat the cream cheese and caster sugar until creamy.  Warm the strawberry puree and dilute the gelatin.  Once the gelatin cools, stir this into the cream cheese mixture.  Next stir in the whipped cream, diced strawberries and strawberry emulco.  Stir until just mixed.  Pour this mixture onto the vanilla cake and put in the fridge for at least five hours to set.

P.S.  I made the strawberry puree by blitzing another 7 strawberries with 60ml water and passing the mixture through a sieve.  This puree gave the cake a more intense strawberry flavor.  The vanilla, by the way, was an everything 2oz cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment