Sunday, March 18, 2012

Prawn Quiche


The first time I ever had quiche was when I was studying in the UK.  It was the last day of the orientation programme for overseas students in the School of Education, and our group had been invited to a tea party.  Of course, I was excited to attend the do, if only to see the spread that they had prepared for us.

And, of course, the first thing on the table that I tried was the quiche (a vegetarian one!)  I was always given the impression that British food is rather bland but I found myself enjoying the pastry dish.  And, suffice to say, that I had longed to make my own quiche ever since.

Anyway, more of my reminiscing for another time!  So, I finally found (today!  After all these years!) that you don't use short crust pastry to make the base; instead you use pate brisee!  And the brisee was a breeze!

For the Pate Brisee
  • 5oz AP flour
  • 4oz butter, cut into cubes (I used margarine!)
  • 3tbs iced water

Place the flour and butter in a bowl and bring them together using a fork.  Do this until mixture is crumbly.  Add iced water and use the fork to mix until the dough holds together.  Transfer to a cling wrap and flatten it into a circle.  Cover with another cling wrap and refrigerate for about an hour (half an hour for me!) before using.  Use this to line 4 individual pie plates, which have been buttered and floured.

For the Filling
  • 4 eggs
  • 75 ml single cream
  • 75 ml milk
  • 1 tbs chopped chives (I used garlic chives)
  • 1 tbs chopped coriander (I used parsley)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 100g grated Cheddar cheese
  • About 16 medium prawns, shelled and deveined, lightly poached

In a bowl, whisk egg and cream until blended.  Add milk, chopped chives and coriander.  Season with salt and pepper.  Pour this preparation into the pie plates and carefully arrange four prawns inside each.  Bake for 25 minutes in a pre-heated 180 C oven.  Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment