Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Smoked Chicken Gravy with Fermented Herbs

Entries in My Other Blogs :


I was not surprised to see my former boss at the canteen the other day.  However, what did surprise me was that she was selling chickens that she reared herself.  I guess she's keeping herself busy after her retirement and it seems her pass time is proving to be quite a lucrative business!

Of course, I couldn't help myself but buy one of the chickens she had for sale.  Actually, the real reason I bought the chicken was not because it was sold by my former boss, but because the chicken was free-range.  And over here, it is difficult to get really free-range chickens.  The other thing that struck my mind upon buying the chicken was to pair it with some fermented herbs especially fermented 'Maman'.

It's one thing to eat chicken cooked with fermented 'Maman', but a totally delicious experience when you savor smoked free-range chicken with fermented 'Maman'.  It's really love at first bite!
  • 1 kg chicken, cut into serving portions
  • 1/2 cup bird's eye chili, ground (yes! It's really hot!)
  • 3 thumb sizes turmeric, ground
  • 1 turmeric leaf, shredded
  • 4 cups coconut milk
  • 250g fermented 'Maman', washed
  • 1 piece 'Asam keping'

Put the chicken, bird's eye chili and turmeric in a pot with 1/2 cup water and simmer slowly until the chicken is cooked (though young, local free-range chicken is quite tough and takes some time to cook!)  Pour in the coconut milk and add the fermented 'Maman' and continue to simmer for another 20 minutes.  Complete the cooking process by adding the 'Asam keping' and adjusting the seasoning (only salt, no pepper!)  This dish can be served the same day, but it tastes much better the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment