Sunday, April 12, 2015

Quiche Rendang Ayam

Star Q


I have always wanted to make quiche for a long time but I had forgotten why I never got about to doing it.  So, when I finally got around to making it, I found out the reason why I never made it.  As usual the reason why I cook anything is my family.

Unfortunately, even though I have longed to make it, I realised that my family had never liked the idea of eating quiche because of its large content of eggs and cream.  Even my attempt to add some local flavour into this recipe did not succeed in coaxing them into trying more than a small bite of the quiche.

Well, I was not really disappointed because I have finally succeeded in making this dish since the last time I had it; when I was studying abroad and it was served during the last day of orientation month.  The one I had was rather bland, which was another reason why I localised this particular recipe by adding pieces of Chicken Rendang into it.

Anyway, I enjoyed eating my version of quiche, but for the sake of my family it will be a long time before my second attempt at making it becomes a reality!

Shortcrust pastry :

  • 175g AP flour
  • 40g margarine
  • 40g shortening
  • 2-3 tbs cold water 
  • Pinch of salt

Sift the flour and salt into a bowl.  Rub in the margarine and shortening until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.  Add the water and mix to a firm dough.  Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth.  Roll out the pastry and use to line an 8-inch flan tin.  

Filling :

  • 175g shredded chicken Rendang (just the chicken; omit the sauce)
  • 1 small onion, chopped 
  • 1 leek, thinly sliced
  • 40g butter
  • 3 eggs
  • 250 ml milk
  • Some chilli flakes
  • Salt

Heat the butter in a pan, then saute the onion and leek until softened and slightly caramelized.  Transfer to a bowl and set aside to cool.  Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180 C.  Once cooled, beat in the eggs, milk, salt and chilli flakes, then stir in the shredded chicken Rendang.  Pour into the pie shell and cook in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes until the filling is set and golden.  Best served hot or warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment