Monday, April 23, 2012

East Meets West Roast Chicken

Entries in My Other Blogs :


It's just the two of us at home today; me and my daughter!  The missus had gone to her sister's place yesterday to send our other daughter back there to further her studies.  I didn't go with because it was a school day (yes! yet another Saturday!  Thankfully, it's the last for this year!)  Anyway, it saves a lot travelling by train than having me to send them there because it's not just the cost of the journey but also the money that we spend during the many pit-stops that we make all along the journey and back!

Well, anyway, since there are just two of us today, I thought I'd prepare a simple lunch (although I have prepared a proper meal for dinner when the missus gets home!)  So, for lunch today I prepared roast chicken with an east-meets-west rub, hence the name of the dish!  I know many people must have tried it before but I guess this is my version, as always, using all the ingredients that are readily available in my larder.  As for the result, I must say that, where food is concerned east can marry west amiably! 
  • 2 whole chicken thighs
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds, pounded
  • 1 tsp coriander seeds, pounded
  • 1 tsp dried chili flakes
  • 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
  • 1 tsp ginger paste
  • 3 large potatoes, quartered
  • 3 large onions, quartered
  • 3 tomatoes, halved
  • 1 head garlic, halved
  • 1/2 tsp white pepper
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tbs butter
  • 1/2 chicken stock
  • 1 tsp Worchestershire Sauce
Mix cumin, coriander, chili flakes, rosemary, ginger and butter together and rub all over the chicken thighs and set aside to marinade for at least an hour.  Arrange the tomatoes, cut side up, in a casserole and lay the chicken thighs on top.  Push the potatoes and onions all around the chicken.  Then, pour the chicken stock (not onto the chicken) into the casserole.  Bake in pre-heated oven at 200 C for about half an hour.  After the chicken has browned slightly, cover it with aluminium foil, reduce the heat to 180 C and continue to cook for another 50 minutes.  


Once cooked, pour out the juices into a bowl.  Take out the tomatoes and garlic, remove their skins and mash finely.  Then mix with the juices and Worchestershire sauce and check for seasoning.  This will become the gravy for the chicken dish.


No comments:

Post a Comment