Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Beef Bolognese Roll

Entries in My Other Blogs :



I remember, once upon a time, many moons ago, my late mum making her rolled up curry puffs; not the semi-circular ones where you crimp the edges.  Hers was rolled up and then twisted into a bun, almost like a chignon, then cut into sizable portions and baked.


I have always wanted to try making her rolled curry puff which she called 'Karipap Sanggul Mak Inang'; a beautiful name and one that is so apt, considering the shape of the roll is just like a lady's hair bun!  But I have always been afraid that what I might come up with, will not do her or the dish justice.  
But today, try I did, and I was quite happy how it turned out (and I think my mum would have been proud of it, too!)  However, just to give the filling a twist, from the normal curry flavoured filling, I changed it to Beef Bolognese, since my family loves Spaghetti Bolognese so much!  So, Beef Bolognese Roll was born! 
  • 1 piece 30x30cm store-bought puff pastry
  • 500g minced beef
  • 1 large can plum tomatoes
  • 1tbs tomato puree
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic chopped
  • 1/4tsp dried chili flakes
  • 1/2 tsp dried Italian herbs
  • 1tbs olive oil
  • Salt and pepper for seasoning

Heat oil in a pan and saute onion, garlic and dried chili flakes until aromatic.  Then fry the minced beef until half cooked.  Add in the plum tomatoes and tomato puree and cook until mixture is almost dry.  Finally add in the Italian herbs and check seasoning.  Dish out and cool completely.

Pre-heat oven at 200 C.  Put a piece of baking parchment on a baking tray.  Lay out the pastry and spread the beef filling evenly on top, leaving about 1 inch on one side of the pastry without any filling (make sure this side is closest to you.  Brush this empty side with some egg wash)  Start rolling the pastry carefully towards you.  Lift the roll carefully and place on the baking parchment, seam side down.  Bake for about 30 minutes until golden brown.  Serve hot with some salad on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment