Saturday, January 7, 2012

Vanilla Choc Chip Muffins


Recently  I went to my sister-in-law's house for a visit.  She's the closest relative I have living within my proximity that is about forty five minutes drive away.  I always go there empty-handed but when I go home, she usually has something for me and the missus to take home.  So, out of sheer embarrassment, this time, I thought, it would be proper if I brought something for her.

Anyway, I had recently bought a small cookbook by Norhayani Mohd Nor because I noticed her recipes were do-able and the ingredients were readily available locally, plus they didn't have names that I couldn't pronounce or that I was oblivious to!  So, I decided to try her Vanilla Chocolate Chip Muffins (Mufin Vanila Cip Coklat) that was supposed to yield 12.  I noticed that my cupcake cases were larger than the ones she recommended, so my baked muffins did not rise to the top of the cases!  Oh well!  C'est la vie! 


90g butter
70g castor sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
80ml fresh milk
110g plain flour*
1 tsp baking powder*
a pinch of salt (I didn't use it because my butter was ready salted)
50g chocolate chips (I used the 'zebra' ones; dark plus white chocolate!)
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
(* ingredients sifted together)

Beat together butter and sugar until pale and creamy.  Gradually mix in the egg followed by the vanilla essence.  Fold in 1/3 of the flour mixture alternating with half of the milk and ending with the flour.  Add the chocolate chips and fold evenly.  Fill each cupcake case to 3/4 full.  Bake in a 180 C oven for 25 - 30 minutes.

P.S. I have grown up to know muffins' texture to be a little bit on the scone side, a little bit heavy and dense, but this recipe produced a pud that is more cupcake-like!




No comments:

Post a Comment