Sunday, January 22, 2012

Beef Steak Azizah


The last time I prepared this dish was way back (and I mean way back!) in 1977 when my late mother gave birth to my youngest brother.  She had got out from the labour room for about a few hours, and she was peckish for this dish.  Of course, at that time, I did not need to ask her for the recipe because I knew it at the back of my hand.  The thing I will never forget about bringing this dish to my mom at the maternity ward at University Hospital (now University Malaya Medical Center! Nostalgia! huhu!) was the question that the other mothers in the ward asked my mother; 'Is that your brother?'  Obviously the big age difference between me and my brother made them come up to that assumption!


Now, after thirty five years, I have all but forgotten how to prepare the dish.  My sudden craving for it prompted me to ask my sister for the recipe and thankfully, she still remembers.  Obviously, because she is a great homemaker and a wonderful cook in her own right.  And with this recipe immortalized in this blog of mine, I can prepare it any time I want!  Thanks sis!

500g beef (I chose rib-eye), cut to 12 portions
1 inch fresh ginger, pounded
3 cloves garlic, pounded
1tsp freshly-ground black pepper
1 large egg
1heaped tbs plain flour

1 inch ginger, pounded
4 cloves garlic, pounded
1tsp freshly-ground black pepper
1tbs sweet soy sauce
2tbs tomato ketchup
salt to taste
4 large potatoes, cut into wedges and fried
1 cup petit pois
1 large red onion, cut into rings

Marinade the beef with the ginger and garlic for about half an hour (I did it overnight)  Half an hour before cooking, mix with the black pepper, egg and flour.  Heat some oil and fry the beef in small batches (don't throw the marinade!) for about two minutes each batch and set aside.

Mix the remaining marinade with a cup and a half of plain water.  Use about two tablespoons of the oil used to fry the beef to saute the garlic, ginger and black pepper.  Put in the sweet soy sauce and tomato ketchup and stir in the marinade/water slurry.  Add in the beef and onion rings.  Stir in the petit pois and immediately dish out.  The fried potato wedges can be incorporated into the dish or served on the side.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment