Monday, January 23, 2012

Four-Onion Chicken Pie


I just love pies!!!  You show me one person who does love pies and I'll show you a person who has never eaten one!  However, in spite of the love I have for pies (savoury ones especially!) it has been a long time since I made one!  I have always envied Jamie (I watch all his series!) making and in the end, devouring his pies!  The last straw came when I saw Nigella (I watch all her series, too!) making her individual Chicken Pot Pies!  

Well, today I've decided to make a chicken pie, but unlike the one Nigella made.  I've decided to make my pie filling almost like Jamie made his Onion Soup, which is by using lots of onions, and in my case, four different types of onions!  And as my famous and experienced tv mentors used store-bought puff pastry, I decided a novice like me, can definitely do the same!

I must say, the result was very satisfying (even though I had to give the oven a thorough clean up after that! Phew!)  My children loved the pie.  In fact my eldest kid was disappointed that the pie had all but disappeared when he looked in the kitchen for seconds.  With this success, I assured him, there will surely be more pies in the future!

1 packet store-bought puff pastry
250g chicken breast meat, cubed
6 fresh button mushrooms, cut into wedges
4 stalks leek, sliced thinly
1 large Bombay onion, sliced thinly
1 large Spanish onion, sliced thinly
4 sweet shallots, sliced thinly
1 305g-can Campbell's chicken soup

Heat two tablespoons of butter and sweat the leeks, Bombay and Spanish onions and shallots until soft.  Watch over the onions because you only want them to caramelize and release the sweetness (don't crisp them because they will turn slightly bitter!)  Dish out and set aside.  Next, heat two tablespoons of olive oil and saute the chicken meat (that has been seasoned with a little salt and pepper) to seal in the juices, followed by the mushrooms.  Stir in the soup (do not add any water!) followed by the onions.  Ladle into a baking dish and set aside.

Roll out the puff pastry to a thickness of about half centimeter.  Cut the pastry so that it is slightly bigger than the baking dish, because it will shrink.  Wet the edges of the dish and cover with the pastry.  Press the edges with the tines of a fork (after this I will have to practice my crimping skills! hehe)  Bake in a 190 C oven for about 25 minutes.  After 25 minutes, watch the pie disappear (mine did!)

No comments:

Post a Comment