Friday, January 27, 2012

Lemon Drizzle Cake


I was nervous and it felt like I was attending my first interview to become a teacher.  Actually, I had to bake a cake!  Not that it's anything new, but when someone wants you to bake for them, then it starts to put you on edge.  All this while, cakes have always been reserved for my family and neighbors and friends.  Never for sale!  And so, when someone ordered one for a party, even though it was a simple cake, I was all sweaty palmed and restless.

But I trudged on, and just went on baking like I used to (not that I have an extensive baking experience behind me! Haha!) and eventually, I did it!  Well, it may not be anywhere near the cakes in commercial bakeries by appearance but I know this cake will go well because I've tried it out on my family and friends before.  By the way, this is an old recipe!  I say old, because I acquired it when I was studying abroad.  In fact the A4 paper on which it is printed is already yellowish and torn at the edges!  Now, it's found a fitting place to rest that is, in my blog amongst all my favorite recipes!

175g soft margarine
175g caster sugar
250g self-raising flour
1 1/2tsp baking powder
3 eggs
3tbs milk
grated zest of 1 lemon

1.Lightly grease and line the bottom of a 9 x 12 inch cake tin (I used an 8 inch round loose bottom cake tin!) 
2.Combine all the cake ingredients in a bowl (I told you I love simple recipes!) and beat well for 2 minutes until well-blended and smooth.
3.Turn into the tin, level the surface and bake in preheated oven at 180 C for 35 to 40 minutes, until the cake is well risen, springy to the touch and beginning to shrink away from the sides of the tin.
4.Leave to cool slightly in the tin, then turn out on a wire rack, peel off the lining paper and cool.

For the royal icing:
Sift 250g icing sugar and add enough juice from one lemon to give a runny consistency.  Pour and spread on top of cake.  Cut when the cake is set and cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment