Thursday, January 26, 2012

Kacang Foul Kak Mar


I woke up this morning thinking about my duty as master of ceremony for a farewell event that will take place in school on 3rd February come next Friday.  The poignant event will be to bid adieu to a very dear friend whom I now regard as an elder sister, who will be retiring after having been in the teaching profession for more than thirty years.  

I feel saddened by her departure but I will always remember the many things that she has taught me for all the sixteen years that I have known her.  She has told me to be humble to colleagues no matter how high I rise in rank (Insya Allah, if God permits!) and not to do unto others (bad things) what have been done unto you.  I will also remember many things through her actions, like going to class right on the dot and always reciting 'Bismillah' as she gets up to leave her table in the staff room.

But most of all, I will remember her for the recipes of food that she has shared with me, namely 'Kacang Foul" or 'Kacang Pool' because the first time I tasted this dish was the one that she prepared.  I had always wanted to taste this famous Singaporean dish (correct me if I'm wrong!) and she obliged by preparing some for me.  And so today, in her honor, I prepared 'Kacang Foul' for breakfast for my family.  Thank you Kak Mar!

300g ground beef
1 large can baked beans
1 large can fava beans
1 large Spanish onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 inch ginger, finely chopped
2tsp Kurma powder
1tsp coriander powder
1tsp cumin powder

Garnish
1 Spanish onion, diced
3 green chili, roughly chopped
4 kalamsi limes, halved
4 eggs, sunny-side up (yolk must be a bit runny!)
1 crusty French loaf or baguette 

Heat 4tbs of vegetable oil and saute the finely chopped onion, garlic and ginger.  When the onion has wilted, add in the ground beef and stir until cooked.  Add in the Kurma powder, coriander and cumin powder along with a cup of water.  Continue to boil for about a minute before adding both the beans (sauce and all!) and simmer for another two minutes.  Dish out.

To serve, place about three generous tablespoons of the cooked mixture onto a plate.  Put one fried egg on the side and top off with a bit of the diced onion, chopped green chili and half a kalamansi lime.  This is usually served with French loaf because it soaks up the gravy better and you can use it to scoop the beans!

And to Kak Mar, my family loved it! :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment