Saturday, March 17, 2012

Turkish Fish Cakes



This is a recipe I have had for twelve years and never once had a chance to try out.  I love to collect recipes, especially those that I think I would like, but I have never found time to try them.  I know it's no excuse but really, I have never had the time.

Since I started this blog and began to try out some of my favourite recipes (favourite meaning those that look good in pictures and the list of ingredients look obtainable locally!) I have begun to appreciate my wife more.  The fact that she spends a lot of time in the kitchen preparing food for me and our children, is a task I need to take my hat off to. And to other ladies out there, who are just like her, my hat off to you too!


Let's take today's dish for example.  Fish Cakes seem simple enough to prepare and being finger food, they are even easier to devour!  But, preparing these cakes this morning made me perspire a 1-km-jog of sweat!  Good thing they turned out soft and delicious, and all the perspiration was all worth it!


  • 300g Spanish Mackerel fillet
  • 1/2 cup red lentils, boiled and mashed
  • 1/2 red chili, finely chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, chopped
  • 1 red onion, sliced, fried and caramelized
  • 1 small-ish egg
  • Some oil for frying
  • Lime wedges
  • Celery leaves

Put the first six ingredients, including some salt and pepper for seasoning, into a food processor and pulse a few times.  Form the mixture into the size of golf balls and pat slightly to form patties.  Heat the oil in a pan and fry the fish cakes until golden brown.  Dish out onto absorbent kitchen towel.  Serve with lime wedges and celery leaves.

P.S.  The original recipe called for some chopped mint and coriander leaves to be added into the fish cake mixture.  I left them out, since my significant other hates them! :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment