Sunday, March 4, 2012

Real Roaring Red Velvet


There's a time and place for every thing I always say, and today seemed suitable enough for making Red Velvet.  Not least because of any specific special day, but because I had this tub of Kraft Cream cheese in the fridge.  In addition, I have been longing to make this dessert for quite some time.  And, as lazy as I am, I always look for the easy way out by trying out recipes that are easy to prepare, avoiding the more tedious ones.
Mine is rather simple!  I found out that leaving out the bicarbonate soda and the vinegar stage did not actually change the taste of the cake (at all!)  In fact, compared to the ones I have tasted before this, I prefer my version without the vinegar.  However, I did make my own buttermilk by mixing milk with some lemon juice.  I guess the tang from the lemon made up for the missing vinegar.  Well, anyway, here's my version.

  • 1 1/4 cups plain flour
  • 3/4tsp baking powder
  • 2 1/2oz butter
  • 3/4 cups soft brown sugar
  • 1tbs cocoa powder
  • 1 large egg
  • 1tsp vanilla*
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk*
  • 2tbs red food coloring*
  • (*mix together)
  • Yields 18 mini cupcakes

Preheat oven to 180C.  First sift together the flour and baking powder.  In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until pale and creamy, then beat in the cocoa powder followed by the egg.  Fold in the flour in three stages alternating with the buttermilk mixture, the last addition of flour folded in until just combined.  Three quarter fill cupcake liners and bake for about 10 minutes.  Once cooked, cool completely.


Meanwhile prepare the cream cheese frosting:
  • 2 cups icing sugar
  • 4oz cream cheese
  • 4oz icing sugar
  • 1/2tsp vanilla

Combine all the ingredients, whisking quickly while gradually adding the icing sugar.  If the frosting appear to soft, add more icing sugar.  You can now frost the cupcakes.

P.S. An earlier entry about Red Velvet Cupcakes with the same picture was posted a few weeks back to entice readers in the hope that they (?) would read and ask for the recipe.  None did :-(


No comments:

Post a Comment