Friday, March 9, 2012

Mocha Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting


I wanted to make Lemon Mousse Cake but my daughter had got her heart on making this Mocha Cake.  In fact, she had gotten hold of my cake book three days earlier after I had gone through it.  She went through the book and decided that she was going to make it.  It didn't matter to her that I had my heart on the Lemon Mousse Cake for my birthday!  Of course, in the end, I gave in.

Initially, I didn't want to make this cake because I know full well that my wife doesn't like cocoa very much.  Even though this is a mocha cake, it still contains cocoa, besides coffee.  I had wanted to make the Lemon Mousse Cake because I knew that it would go well with the Sticky Chicken Wings that I was preparing for my birthday dinner (the Eggy Fried Rice was prepared by my wife!)  I knew the tartness of the lemon would out the oiliness of the rice and roasted chicken!

But, since my daughter always has her way, even with food, Mocha Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting finally won!
  • 6oz self-raising flour
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/2 tbs cocoa powder
  • 6 oz butter, softened
  • 6 oz soft light brown sugar
  • 3 large eggs, beaten
  • 3 oz plain chocolate, melted
  • 1 1/2 tbs caster sugar
  • 2 tbs strong black coffee

Preheat oven to 180 C.  Grease and line two 8-inch sandwich tins.
Sift the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder in a large bowl.  Add the butter, soft light brown sugar and eggs, and using a whisk, beat together for 3 - 4 minutes.  Fold in melted chocolate.  Divide the mixture between the two cake tins and bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until firm to the touch.  Leave to cool complete in the tins.

Frosting
  • 3 oz unsalted butter
  • 2 oz icing sugar, sifted
  • 2 tbs strong black coffee
  • 9 oz (250 g) cream cheese (I used about 7 oz)

Beat the butter and sugar with a whisk until light and fluffy.  Then incorporate the coffee.  Then beat in the slightly softened cheese, until creamy but still slightly stiff.

Place one of the cakes on a plate and spread frosting on top of it.  Top this with the other cake and frosting the surface of the cake with the remaining frosting.


No comments:

Post a Comment