Sunday, March 18, 2012

Curry Chicken Pie

Okay!  I know that having a pie for breakfast is going a little bit overboard, but I was in the mood for baking all things pastry, so, even though it was time consuming and very tiring work, I pressed on.  I was happy with the way the pie turned out (this is my QC!) all puffy and golden brown!


It really did take me a lot of effort because the last time I baked a pie was way back in 1979.  Haha!  No excuses for the long time it has taken me to start baking again, but like I said in my earlier entries, I only recently plucked enough courage to dabble in cooking again.  Plus, my wife has allowed me to share her domain; the kitchen!

No secrets about the pastry though because in the famous words of Jamie Oliver, using good store-bought stuff allows you prepare good food in under thirty minutes!  Yes! The pastry was store-bought (Kawan brand!) but for both the lining of the pie plate and the cover, I used two overlapping pastries together, creating a puff pastry effect!  Besides, the original one was very thin, and my daughter requested for a thicker and more fulfilling crust!  The rest is simple!
  • 1 chicken thigh meat, cubed
  • 1/5 kilo potatoes, cubed
  • 1 large carrot, cubed
  • 1 cup petit pois
  • 1 large Spanish onion, diced
  • 1 large clove garlic, chopped
  • 2 tsp meat curry powder
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 tbs cooking oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a pan and saute the onion and garlic.  Saute until aromatic then, add the curry powder.  Put in the chicken and cook for a minute before adding the potatoes and carrots.  Add in just enough water to cover the ingredients in the pan.  Let boil until there is a little bit of moisture left.  Add in the petit pois and check the seasoning.  Dish out and leave to cool completely.

The step after this like lining the pie plate and so on, is like preparing other chicken pies.  I baked mine at 190 C for about 45 minutes.  And I served it with tomato wedges and a salad leaf!

No comments:

Post a Comment