Monday, July 23, 2012

Strawberry Bread Pudding with Strawberry-Cinnamon Compote

Star Q


It's a good thing that the first day of Ramadhan fell on a Saturday; a school weekend!  Not only could I relax from the hectic schedule of school activities (for those not in the teaching field, get a grip!), I was also able to prepare this simple dessert for Iftaar.

Actually I saw a slightly similar recipe in one of the local cook books sold in the small bookstore in my small town!  Haha!  I'm being redundant, but small is the word!  But, back to the recipe; I decided to make my version of the pudding with a little twist!

10g agar-agar powder (the original called for 8g)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 cups water (the original called for 3 1/2)
4 slices bread (I used Gardenia, crust removed)
2 large eggs
170ml evaporated milk
1/2 cup condensed milk
1.2 tsp strawberry emulco

Put the first three ingredients in a pot and boil until the sugar and agar-agar are dissolved.  Next, put the remaining ingredients in a blender and whiz until fine and smooth.  Pour this mixture into the agar-agar mixture and stir until it becomes the consistency of a thick custard.  Take off the heat and spoon in the strawberry emulco.  Lightly stir, once or twice, and pour the mixture in moulds of your choice.

For the compote :
(the original didn't call for a compote.  This is my addition!)
8 fresh strawberries, diced
2 tbs granulated sugar
1 inch cinnamon

Put all the ingredients in a pan and heat until the sugar is dissolved.

To serve, unmould the pudding and spoon the strawberry-cinnamon compote over it.  For Iftaar, this bread pudding is best served straight from the fridge.

Note : I just found out today (26/7/12) that the original recipe is Che Ct's!  Thank's for the lovely recipe ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment