Friday, July 6, 2012

Strawberry and Apple Crumble

Star Q


Way back in 1996, was my first experience in making Crumble.  It was a winter's night and all of us had decided to have a small potluck-cum-dinner gathering.  Mary Morris was all quite then because the locals (including the French, Italians etc) had gone to the pubs to warm themselves up.  So we had the kitchen on the second floor to ourselves.

It was one of the many memorable mini gatherings we'd have after that!  I don't know whether my other friends still remember this moment (and many others!) but I will always hold it dear!  Especially when the crumble remained like breadcrumbs even after it was cooked!  But, we ate the Apple Crumble I made, regardless, because the cold weather made us really hungry.

And so, the other day, I made this crumble, yet another simple one.  Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.  If you don't, then you can join my kids in that short list of people who don't!

 2 apples, cored and thinly sliced
8 strawberries, hulled and quartered
1/2 tsp grated ginger
1tbs caster sugar
200g AP flour
100g cold butter, cubed
100g soft brown sugar
50g almond slices

Mix the first four ingredients together and place in a 4" by 6" baking dish.  Rub the flour with the butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.  Then loosely mix in the soft brown sugar followed by the almond slices.  Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 C for about 30 minutes or until the crumble has browned slightly.  Serve warm with a dollop of vanilla ice-cream!



No comments:

Post a Comment