Sunday, July 8, 2012

Durian #1 - Apam Durian

Star Q


It's another durian season over here, but this time the prices are a bit steep considering the abundance of the fruit, especially in this neck of the woods.  My son had been asking me to buy some durians, so in order not to disappoint anyone, I bought about six kilos worth.  

Of course I don't each durians; not the fresh one at least.  So, it came as a surprise to everyone I know when they found out that I do eat durians but only when it is cooked, that is, when it is turned into something else.  In order to get into the season, I decided to scour the net and came upon this recipe by Ijayuji.  I must apologize to the owner of this recipe, because I didn't follow her steps in making the apam.  The lazy person in me took the easy way out!  Read on!



200g durian flesh
200ml plain water
2tbs condensed milk
4 eggs
250g caster sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1tbs ovalette
300g AP flour, sifted
1/4 durian essence (didn't have any!)
A bit of yellow food coloring (didn't have any, either!)
1 cup grated flesh of young coconut

First, boil some water in a steamer.  Okay, now comes the lazy person part!  I merely put everything in a blender and blitzed all the ingredients until smooth.  Put about 2 tsp of the batter in small cups and steam for about 10 minutes.  Meanwhile, mix the grated coconut flesh with a pinch of salt and 1 tsp of caster sugar.  Once the apam is cooked, unmould them and serve with the coconut.

P.S. For a fluffier result, do follow Ijayuji's method!  It pays not to be lazy like me! :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment