Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Tofu Braised in Sweet Chili Sauce



I have the habit of freezing leftovers in small portions in plastic bags; ones that are easy to access whenever I want to use them.  One of the dishes that I prepare that always has leftovers is our Chicken Rice.  No!  There is no leftover rice, but more often than not, I will find myself making too much chicken soup and too much chili sauce for the chicken.  These are the ones that I freeze.

And sometimes, when I run out of ideas of what to cook (just like today!) I will just rummage through the fridge and see what I can rustle up.  Today there were some pieces of firm tofu along with the chicken soup and chili sauce which I had frozen and turned into ice cubes!  The result was Tofu Braised in Sweet Chili Sauce!
  • 4 firm tofu, cut diagonally and fried
  • 1 onion, sliced into rings
  • 2 green chili, cut on the bias
  • 5 birds eye chili, pounded
  • 1 cup sweet chili sauce (leftover from the Chicken Rice)
  • 2 cups chicken soup (also leftover from the Chicken Rice)
  • 1 tbs vegetable oil

Heat the oil and saute the onion rings, green chili and pounded birds eye chili until aromatic.  Add the fried tofu pieces, stir in the chili sauce and chicken soup and slow simmer until the sauce is reduced by half.  Season to taste!  And the tofu dish is ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment