Saturday, February 4, 2012

Jackfruit Loaf


I don't really like to eat Jackfruit, mostly because of it's aroma that I personally find a bit repulsive.  I have never been fond of it, at least not in its fresh state.  However if it were cooked, then it is a different case altogether.  

It is a typical Malaysian custom where neighbors often give each other things especially food, and the recipient always reciprocates by giving something else in return.  This is especially true for me and my neighbor where we often give each other food (cakes from me!) and fruits (Jackfruit from my neighbor!)  
Today my neighbor gave me and my family some Jackfruit and since I don't eat it in its fresh state, I decided to turn some of the fruit into a cake.  I found this wonderful recipe by Jun (the original one given below) and gave it a try.  I halved all the original ingredients and replaced some of them according to what was available at home.  After it was baked, and sampling some for tea, we gave the rest to my wife's nephew who came visiting us today!  No sweat!  It's always nice to give someone something to take home!  Now, she has the following recipe if she wants to try!

*I halved all the ingredients*
  • 6 eggs
  • 200g plain flour (I used self-raising)
  • 200g Jackfruit, finely diced
  • 100g almond meal/ground almond
  • 225g butter
  • 130g caster sugar (I used soft brown)
  • 1/2tsp baking powder (I omitted it)
  • 1tbs condensed milk

Beat the sugar and butter until pale and creamy.  Whisk in the eggs one at a time.  Then, thoroughly mix in the almond meal, condensed milk and diced Jackfruit.  Finally, fold in the flour (which had been sifted earlier)  Spoon into a greased and lined loaf pan and bake in a 160C oven for about 40 minutes (according to my oven!)

P.S. Thanks for the recipe, Jun.  Mine didn't turn out as beautiful as yours, not mine didn't deserve the name 'singgahsana'  :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment