Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Sultana and Raisin Rock Drops


Cookies?  No, I have never made them myself.  But if memory serves me right (and it still does!) the only experience I have in baking cookies was just as my late mother's helper.  Come every fasting month, my mother would be planning what cookies to make and I would be trusted to sit by the oven and check if the cookies were done, take them out of the oven and put them in bottles, ready for the Hari Raya celebration!

However, today was the first time I actually made and baked cookies.  Well, actually I helped with the weighing of the ingredients and checking if the cookies in the oven were done (deja vu!)  I was helping my youngest daughter with her cookie-baking endeavor!  She had been wanting to bake any cookie (requesting simple ones and not-so time consuming, so I would agree!) for three days, so I had to agree.  Anyway, I think it's good to build her self-confidence and helps bond the father-daughter relationship (hmmm!)
Well, it was a simple cookie recipe.  When the cookies were done, she actually ate eight pieces and downed them all with some milk.  I guess, food that you prepare yourself always taste better!

100g butter, room temperature
200g plain flour
1/2tsp baking powder
75g soft brown sugar
75g sultans + raisins
1 egg, grade A
2tbs milk

Sift together the flour and baking powder.  Using a wooden spoon, thoroughly mix the flour and butter.  Then, stir in the sugar, sultanas and raisins.  Finally, mix in the egg and milk.  Using a teaspoon, drop cookie batter onto a prepared baking tray.  Don't worry about putting each drop apart because the cookie doesn't really expand upon cooking.  Bake in a 180C oven for 15 - 20 minutes until pale brown (the cookies should be cooked by then)

Serve hot with cold milk or cool and keep in an air-tight container!  If it can last very long.  Oh yes!  Yields 24 cookies :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment