Thursday, December 15, 2011

Zucchini Loaf


Moody weather we've been having of late and the fact that it is cold does nothing to rid me and my family of our hunger pangs.  So this evening, my daughter has been ranting for something to eat for tea insisting that her tummy is making all kinds of noise.   So, again, I raid my fridge and my larder, and lo and behold, I have just enough ingredients to make this loaf that I made many years ago when I was living in Mary Morris International Residence in Leeds.

Since this is a loaf, which means it is something like a dense bread, so don't expect something light and fluffy like a chiffon cake.  This loaf is better when eaten warm with a spread of good butter!   You can even liken it to scones!  Here's the recipe!


8 oz grated zucchini (squeeze out as much water from it as you can!)
2 large eggs
2 fl oz sunflower oil (I used corn oil!)
8 oz caster sugar (I used brown!)
1/4 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp ground cinnamon (I pounded some cinnamon quills!)
1/2 tsp salt
2 oz walnut pieces, chopped
12 oz self-raising flour
2 lb loaf tin

Beat eggs lightly till foamy.  Add sunflower oil, sugar, vanilla essence and zucchini and mix lightly until combined.  Sift flour, cinnamon and salt into a large bowl .  Make a well in the center and pour the zucchini mixture and stir to mix thoroughly.  Stir in the chopped walnuts.  Pour into greased loaf tin and bake in a preheated oven at 180 C for 50 minutes.  Turn out and serve warm!

I don't think there is any local alternative for zucchini.  And please don't try cucumber!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment