Thursday, December 22, 2011

Rainbow Cake


I think it's a bit ironic baking a cake so named because of the very wet weather we've been having for this past week.  Irony or not, we all could do with a little more sunshine and not the odd half an hour or so rays and on odd days at that.  Then again, I am very thankful, nonetheless, that this wet weather is happening during the school holidays because at least we (teachers and students only; sorry!) can all cuddle up and keep ourselves warm at home.  And for me, baking is one way for me to keep warm, not least because I've got the oven on!  

Back to this Rainbow Cake; this recipe was shared by a colleague of mine, Cikgu Zubaidah Said who initially got it from her sister.  I think it's nice that people share things that they like and not keep it to themselves.  So, in the spirit of sharing, here's the recipe!


375g butter
7 large eggs
200g caster sugar (I used soft brown sugar)
150g condensed milk
40g ground almond
125g plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
175g Nestum cereal
1 tsp vanilla essence
Food coloring : green and red (I used blue instead of green, because I didn't have any in the larder!)

As with other cakes, cream the butter and sugar then beat in the eggs one by one.  Then stir in the condensed milk and vanilla essence.  Fold in the flour, ground almond and cereal.  Divide batter into three separate bowls.  Color the first one green (in my case blue!), the next one red and the last one leave as it is.  Spoon the batter into a greased 8-inch square tin, alternating the three colors.  Bake in a 180 C oven for about 50 minutes or until done.

P.S. And as with any other cakes, this one disappeared as soon as it came out of the oven!

No comments:

Post a Comment