Thursday, December 8, 2011

Creme Caramel Comel


Today was team building day.  Well, at least where cooking was concerned.  Since one of my daughters wanted Creme Caramel so I decided to delegate the tasks of assembling the dessert.  I started the ball rolling by searching for the recipe from old cookbooks in my collection (but ended up asking one of my colleagues for it!) after which the missus sorted out the ingredients and my daughter mixed everything up and poured the mixture into individual containers.

It may not have been much of a team building exercise (and this dessert is one that almost everybody knows already!) but anything to get my daughters to volunteer doing some chores in the house is welcome.  And I must thank Zubaidah (my colleague at school) for the recipe.  Of course I have got her permission to share this recipe (which is quite different from the ones I've found!), mainly because I don't have to take out my weighing scale to sort out the ingredients!  Anyway, here's the recipe!

1 can evaporated milk 
4 to 5 eggs (depending on the size)
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tbs cornflour (for a softer consistency, next time I'll put less!)
1 tsp vanilla essence

(Whiz everything in the blender!)

1/4 cup sugar plus 2 tbs water (turned into caramel)

Pour the caramel into serving containers and let cool.  Then pour in the whizzed mixture and steam for about half an hour.  You can even bake this creme caramel in a bien marie in a 150 C oven for about 45 minutes.  Once cooked, cool and remove from the containers.  Better if served chilled!  My batch was gone instantly!  Thanks again Zubaidah!

No comments:

Post a Comment