Friday, November 28, 2014

Murtabak Roti Berkeju

Star Q


My wife had made a batch of currypuffs the other day and she purposely made the filling more than the pastry because one of our family members really love to snack on the curry filling.  However, she made the filling a little bit too much because that family member of ours decided she had had too much of the filling to snack on.

Hence another recipe was born out of necessity and in this case the need to use up (or recycle) the filling in a different dish.  My wife suggested that I made something using bread and the Camembert cheese which I had bought a few weeks ago when I went for a course in Kuala Lumpur; at Berjaya Time Square to be exact.

I must confess that the last time I had Camembert cheese was during my trip to Paris.  Of course being wary of the food that I could and could not eat, I survived my five-day stay in the City of Romance eating apples (and other fruits) and cheese, Camembert to name a few.  In this recipe, I also used the leftover Cheddar that I had from making the Peach and Cheddar Cheese Cake.

  • 12 pieces sandwich bread (I used Gardenia)
  • 5 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups fresh milk
  • 100 g grated Cheddar Cheese
  • 125 g Camembert Cheese
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • A quantity of currypuff filling

Mix the eggs, milk, salt and black pepper.  Soak four pieces of the bread in this mixture and use them to line a greased 8" x 8" baking tin.  Divide the currypuff filling into two portions and spread one of the portions onto the bread.  Repeat the process once again.  Place four more slices of bread that have been soaked in the milk mixture as the top layer.  Pour evenly the remaining milk mixture onto the bread layers.  Spread the grated Cheddar cheese and place small pinches of Camembert evenly all over the surface.  Cover the tin with aluminium foil and bake in a preheated 180 C oven for 50 minutes. 10 minutes before the end of baking time, remove the foil and continue to bake to brown the top of the murtabak.  Once cooked, ensure that the dish has completely set before slicing to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment