Monday, July 22, 2013

Marshmallow Cupcakes

Star Q



One of the things that my daughter likes to munch on is marshmallows.  There's no stopping her from getting a bag of marshmallows whenever she sees them; whether at a supermarket or in a bakery.  I can never fathom the reasons why she likes the sickly sweet pillowy things so much.

And it was an even bigger surprise, while on my one of my shopping-for-baking-things, she happened to spot bags of marshmallows being sold; 1-kg bags of them!After unsuccessfully trying to convince her out of buying them, I ended up getting her a 1-kg bag of marshmallows.  And as if that wasn't enough, she told me that since we were the proud owners of a huge bag of marshmallows, why don't I (me!) make some marshmallow cupcakes.

And this was when I stumbled upon Nigella's recipe.  I made them, and to my dismay, my daughter didn't like them.  She took one bite of the cupcakes, put it back on the plate and returned her attention to the bag of marshmallows.  Sigh!  Well!  At least she can't blame me for not trying!

  • 175 g butter
  • 175 g caster sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 350 self-raising flour
  • 3 tbs milk
  • A dozen marshmallows (I used whatever colour I had)
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence

Pre-heat oven ot 180 C.  Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in the eggs one at a time.  Fold the flour then milk, and vanilla essence.  Half fill cupcake cases with the mixture, put in one marshmallow and top off with the rest of the mixture.  Bake for 20 minutes until well  risen and springy to the touch.

Note :  I found that, when the cakes cooled, the marshmallows shrunk and left a hollow dent in the middle of the cakes.  I took advantage of this 'flaw' by arranging some sliced marshmallows to make rings or flowers (though a bit amateurish!)  Plus, I was too lazy to ice the cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment