Sunday, July 21, 2013

Koey Teow Ladna....Again

Star Q



Gastronomic challenges are usually more difficult in the month of Ramadhan especially when you have to face picky eaters like me; even though I only have one of them in my family.  But it always makes me feel so miserable when even a single person in my family doesn't seem to enjoy the food he (she) is eating.  Worse still when he simply wolf's down the plate of food which merely consist of rice and soya sauce! (I suppose this is done in protest against the food that he (she) doesn't like!)

And so, most of the time it is just a case of preparing food that your children like (forsaking your own preference)  I always console myself that I have tasted all the food I need to taste, and my children should be given their chance to savour food that they enjoy eating.  Thus, it is Kuey Teow Ladna (which happens to one of the favourites) again for Sahur today, but with a twist!

  • 500 g kuey teow (flat noodles)
  • 5 cloves garlic, bruised
  • 1 thumb size ginger, bruised
  • 10 birds eye chilies, whole
  • 1 cup sliced chicken meat
  • 1 large squid, sliced
  • 1 piece fish cake, sliced
  • 6 shrimps, shelled and deveined
  • 1 cup cauliflower florets
  • 1 cup sliced carrots
  • 1 green capsicum, diced
  • 4 tbs oyster sauce
  • 1/2 tbs sweet soy sauce
  • 1 egg, light beaten
  • 4 cups water
  • 3 tbs vegetable oil
  • Some lemon wedges
  • Salt

Heat the oil in a wok.  Saute the garlic, ginger and chilies.  Once aromatic, immediately stir in the chicken and cook this it is half cooked.  Pour in the sauces and water and bring to a boil.  When boiling, add in the vegetables and season with salt.  Turn the heat to a simmer, then add in the sliced fish cake, shrimps and squid.  When the shrimps have turned pink, quickly stir in the egg so that there are no lumps.  Turn off heat.  Serve immediately with a wedge of lemon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment