Thursday, July 4, 2013

Kimchi Fried Rice

Star Q


My youngest daughter does not only have complete fondness for sweet looking faces and high pitched voices of South Korean singers and actors.  She also has this strange idea that she likes Korean food, especially Kimchi.  Well,  I feel that this sudden appetite for Kimchi can be blamed on the well-known fast food franchise that recently introduced fried chicken with Kimchi sauce!

I have scoured the internet for an easy Kimchi recipe but I thought it would be best that I tried the real thing first; one that is made in Korea, by Koreans, at least to know how Kimchi tastes like.  And I was lucky enough to find this Kimchi product that is labelled halal by JAKIM.  To tell you the truth, I didn't think much of the fermented cabbage at first.  But the thought of trying to use it in some other dishes, got my juices going and so I decided to try and make this Kimchi Fried Rice.

  • 4 cups cooked rice, completely cooled
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 spring onion, chopped
  • 1 tsp dried chili flakes (fine)
  • 1 cup minced chicken meat
  • 1 tbs soy sauce
  • 3 tbs Kimchi
  • 2 tbs vegetable oil
  • 1/2 tsp toasted sesame seed oil
  • 2 eggs, sunny-side up
  • Some spring onion curls for garnish

First prepare the Kimchi by squeezing as much of the liquid from it as you can.  Then, slice thinly and set aside.

Heat the oil in a wok.  Saute the garlic and chopped spring onions for a few seconds, then, immediately stir in the chicken pieces.  Once the chicken pieces are cooked, stir in the soy sauce, chili flakes and Kimchi.  Stir in the rice and mix well to incorporate all the ingredients and until the rice looks a bit dry.  Dish out the rice and top with a sunny-side up egg and some spring onion curls.

Note :  The Kimchi did not taste fermented to me.  The dish would be better if the Kimchi was slightly more fermented.  But my daughter devoured the Kim Fried Rice hungrily!




No comments:

Post a Comment