Thursday, August 1, 2013

Ayam Panggang Madu/Honey Roasted Chicken

Star Q
One of the food that my daughter always asks me to buy for her every time we go to the night market is the Honey Roasted Chicken.  I always remind her that it is more expensive to buy cooked chicken than to cook it yourself.  But she says that since I don't know how to make Honey Roasted Chicken like the ones sold at the night market, we might as well buy them.

That sounded more like a challenge to me if I ever heard one!  So, I decided to surprise that daughter of mine with my own version of Honey Roasted Chicken.  It didn't turn out to be much of a surprise because the aroma of roasting chicken filled the whole house that day!  I used chicken wings for this recipe and I thought four for each of us would be enough.  Apparently not!  The missus and I had to give up half of our share to her and to her sister, too!

  • 16 pieces chicken wings
  • 6 cloves garlic, pounded
  • 2 thumb-size ginger, pounded
  • 4 tbs Hoisin sauce
  • 3 tbs oyster sauce
  • 1 tbs ginger-flavored honey
  • 1/2 tsp roasted sesame oil
  • 3 tbs butter
  • 2 tbs tomato ketchup
Put all the ingredients, save the tomato sauce and 2 tbs of butter, in a plastic container and leave to marinade in the fridge for about four hours (that's how long I did it)  After four hours, take out the chicken pieces plus the marinade and place in a pot.  Gently simmer the chicken until the meat has turned slightly opaque.  Take out the wings and place on a roasting tin, dot the remaining butter onto the wings and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 C for about 25 minutes each side.  After 25 minutes, turn the wings, baste with the sauce and continue to roast for another 25 minutes.  Turn the wings one last time, baste and roast for another 10 minutes.  Serve immediately.

To prepare the basting sauce, re-heat the reserved marinade in the same pot and add in the tomato ketchup.  Stir constantly until sauce thickens.  This sauce can also be used to serve with the chicken.

Note :  Simmering the chicken in the marinade for a while makes for a more flavoursome chicken.  Plus it also helps to cut down the roasting time.


No comments:

Post a Comment