Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Tapioca Cake/Kek Ubi Kayu - DKKD #1

Star Q


The small patch of garden (kebun) that we have in front of the house, has been very faithful in providing with small but steady stream of crops.  There may be only a few types of plants there, but every time we gather the small harvest, there is always that feeling of fulfillment.  

And so, these few posts in My Tiny Corner will feature a few recipes (some borrowed, some adapted, some tried and true!) using simple crops from the garden, thus the acronym DKKD ie. Dari Kebun Ke Dapur! (Sounds familiar?)

The first of these entries is a recipe using tapioca which I adapted by halving the ingredients shown in MyResipi.

  • 1 1/2 cups butter (I used 3/4 cup)
  • 1 1/2 cups caster sugar (I used 3/4 cup soft brown)
  • 1 1/2 cups AP flour (I used 3/4 cup)
  • 5 eggs (I used 3 small eggs)
  • 1/2 can condensed milk (I approximated 1/4 cup)
  • 1 tbs baking powder (I used 1 tsp)
  • 3 cups grated tapioca (I used 1 1/2 cups)
  • 1 tbs vanilla essence (I used 1 tsp)

Place the grated tapioca in a muslin cloth and squeeze as much of the water from the tapioca as possible.  Then, set the tapioca aside.  Meanwhile, beat the butter and sugar until pale.  Beat in the eggs one at a time.   Add the flour, condensed milk and baking powder, and stir to combine.  Finally stir in the tapioca and vanilla essence.  Bake in a preheated oven at 175 C for about 40 - 45 minutes.  

Note :  This is a very brittle cake, so take care when cutting it.  Next time I would take out 2 tbs of the flour and replace with same amount of cornflour.


No comments:

Post a Comment