Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Rendang Betawi

Star Q


I have always had a few Rendang dishes in my repertoire including Rendang Tok, Rendang Cili Api and Rendang Selangor.  So, the other day when I was feeling peckish about having some rendang for dinner, I chanced upon this recipe in the 2007 issue of Flavours magazine (incidentally, I prefer the old version as opposed to the new one!)

According to the article, it has adapted it from the book "Air Tangan Tengku Puan Pahang : Masakan Tradisional Pahang"  I immediately made my mind up to give this recipe a try, mainly because it is a recipe by one of Malaysia's royalties and secondly, because I just needed a new rendang recipe!

Spice paste :
  • 50 g coriander seeds, dry-roasted
  • 50 g fennel seeds, dry-roasted
  • 50 g cumin seeds, dry-roasted
  • 100 g shallots, sliced
  • 100 g fresh green chilies
  • 60 g fresh birds eye chilies
  • 80 g galangal, sliced
  • 20 g turmeric root, sliced
  • 20 g ginger, sliced
  • 20 g garlic, sliced
  • 4 stalks lemongrass, finely sliced

  • 100 ml vegetable oil
  • 1 cinnamon quill
  • 4 star anise
  • 50 g shallots, sliced (I used 100 g)
  • 1 large chicken, cut into 12 pieces
  • 400 ml coconut milk
  • 100 g brown sugar (I used 50 g palm sugar)
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 150 g freshly-grated coconut, turned into kerisek
  • Juice from 2 limes
  • 6 turmeric leaves, finely sliced (I used 2)

Blitz all the spice ingredients in a blender until they become a smooth paste.

Heat the oil in a wok.  Over low heat, fry the cinnamon, star anise and sliced shallots, until fragrant and the shallots have softened.  Add the spice paste and cook, stirring, until aromatic.

Add the chicken and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.  Add the coconut milk and cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until gravy thickens and chicken is tender.  Season to taste with sugar and salt; add the kerisek and lime juice (I added the lime juice right before I turn off the flame)  Lower the flame and cook, stirring continuously, until almost dry and oil appears.  Just before removing from heat, add the turmeric leaves.

P.S.  I prefer my rendang with a bit more gravy.

No comments:

Post a Comment