Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Pumpkin And Ginger Cake - DKKD #2

Star Q


This is the second installment for this edition of 'Dari Kebun Ke Dapur'.  This time I'm using the pumpkin from my small garden patch.  As you can see from the picture, the pumpkin itself resembles the patch; small! However, even though it is small, it's got that bright orange color that is so pumpkin-ish!

Actually, the missus had already made a savory dish using one of the pumpkins a few days ago, but I had forgotten to snap a picture of it.  So, there should have been another addition to this installment.  But never mind, I've still got one more mini pumpkin in the fridge waiting to be turned into something!

For the time being, I made this cake (again taken from one of my BBC Books) with a few twists.

  • 3 oz butter, melted
  • 2 1/2 oz clear honey (I used golden syrup)
  • 1 large egg, beaten (I used 1 small)
  • 4 1/2 oz raw, peeled pumpkin coarsely grated
  • 2 oz light muscovado sugar (I used soft brown)
  • 6 oz self-raising flour
  • 1 tsp ground ginger (I used grated ginger)
  • 1 tbs demerara sugar (I used soft brown again)

Preheat oven to 180 C.  Grease and line the base and two long sides of a 1 kg/2 lb loaf tin with a strip of baking paper.

Mix the butter, honey and egg and stir in the pumpkin.  Then mix in the sugar, flour and ginger.  Pour into the prepared tin and sprinkle the top with the 1 tbs demerara sugar.  Bake for 50 minutes, until risen and golden brown.  Leave in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn out and cool on a wire rack.  Sprinkle more demerara sugar over the warm cake, if you wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment