Thursday, September 27, 2012

Wantan Tarts

Star Q
i.  TGIF!


Hmmm!  What to do with the remaining wantan wraps I have lying in the fridge?  I have used some for making wantan soup, where I filled the wantan wraps with shrimp and fish meat.  The thing is, you would only need a quarter of the wantan bundle for one cooking session.  On top of that, I find that the use of wantan wraps is so limited (any suggestions for other uses are most welcome!)

So, I tried turning the wantan wraps into wantan cups and put some tasty filling inside them.  As usual, my critics can be quite scathing in giving their remarks.  But, on the plus side, they liked the filling (and the wantan in the soup I made!)

  • 24 pieces wantan wraps
  • 2 tbs melted butter
  • 1/2 cup petite pois
  • 1/2 cup chopped button mushrooms
  • 1 tbs chopped shallots
  • 1 clove garlic chopped
  • 1/2  cup chopped cooked chicken
  • 100 g feta cheese, crumbled
  • 1 tbs vegetable oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Use the wantan wraps to line a 12-hole cupcake pan which has been greased with the melted butter.  Bake in a pre-heated oven at 160 C for about 10 minutes or until brown.  Once ready, cool completely.

For the filling, heat the vegetable oil in a wok and saute the shallots.  Once they are translucent, stir in the garlic followed by the mushrooms.  Once the mushrooms are tender, add in the chicken and petit pois and season to taste.  Go easy with the salt.  Stir for about two minutes, then, turn off heat.  Finally add the crumbled feta cheese.  

To serve, just fill each wantan cup with the filling.

Note : I found the edges of the wantan cups, though crispy, a bit sharp.  Next time, I'll just use filo pastry!






No comments:

Post a Comment