Monday, September 17, 2012

Coffee & Walnut Fudge Cupcakes

Star Q


Two weeks back (yes, I'm late with my entry!), my wife's niece and her husband plus two boys dropped by for a Hari Raya Visit.  They were on their way back to Manjong after visiting the hubby's parents in Johor.  As usual, I found that as an excuse to try out another cupcake recipe from one of my recipe books; this one from Ann Nicol's For the Love of Cupcakes!  Actually, I'd use any reason as an excuse to try any recipe from my recipe books!

The thing was, the hubby didn't like nuts!  This I realized when I saw him fiddling with one of the cupcakes and eventually handing it over to the wife!  How was I to know!  Good thing I made two types of cupcakes (the other one, Blueberry Swirl Cupcakes, to follow in another entry, much later! hehe~!)

  • 125g golden caster sugar (I used soft brown) 
  • 125g butter at room temperature
  • 2 medium eggs, beaten (I used local Grade A)
  • 125g self-raising flour
  • 1 tbs golden syrup
  • 50g walnuts, finely chopped

To decorate (my lazy version!) :
  • 125g store bought butter cream frosting
  • 2 tsp coffee extract (I used 1 tsp coffee emulco)
  • 16 - 18 walnut pieces

Sift the flour into a bowl and add the butter, sugar, eggs and syrup.  Beat for about two minutes, then fold in the walnuts.  Spoon the mixture into paper cases and bake for 10 to 12 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 100 C (I used 170 C) until well-risen and springy.  Once cooked, cool completely.

Make the frosting by whisking the coffee extract into the butter cream. Take 1 tbs of the frosting and smooth on top of each cupcake.  Top each with a walnut piece.  

Note : This cupcake keeps well for 3 days in an airtight container!


No comments:

Post a Comment