Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Gulai Landak Seri Sendayan

Star Q


Yes! It is the real 'landak'!!!  It has been a long (read looooooong!) time since I got my hands on this elusive creature!  Actually, many moons ago, it was my late mom who handled everything about this creature!  My dad, being in the army then, had many opportunities to hunt this creature, and also the mousedeer (poor Sang Kancil!)

Well, anyway, back to present day.  This time around, I was given a small portion (hence the small portion shown in the picture!) by my brother-in-law who lives in Sendayan (hence, the name of this dish!)  But the preparation of the ingredients I owe it to my late mum, who reminded me then, that when cooking exotic creatures one must either use a lot of herbs or spices to hide the natural odour ot the animal.  

I do what I'm told!  Anyway,I only slurped the curry though (which I like!) but avoided the meat (because of my gout!)

  • 250g landak meat
  • 1tbs coriander seeds*
  • 1tbs cumin seeds*
  • 4tbs meat curry powder
  • 4 cloves garlic, pounded
  • 4 shallots, pounded
  • 1 thumb size ginger, pounded
  • 2 stalks lemongrass, sliced and pounded
  • 2 stalks flat leaf parsley, tied into a knot
  • 1 sprig curry leaves
  • 250ml coconut cream
  • 250ml water
  • 1 large piece asam gelugor
  • 4tbs vegetable oil
  • Salt and sugar to taste

Dry roast and pound the ingredients marked (*) and mix with the curry powder.   Heat oil in a pot.  Fry the curry leaves until aromatic then add in the pounded ingredients, followed by the dry spices.  Once the spices are cooked, add in the meat.  Stir a few times and then, pour in the water.  Let simmer gently until all the water has almost evaporated and meat is tender.  Put in the flat leaf parsley, coconut cream, asam gelugor and seasoning.  Continue to simmer slowly for another five minutes.  Serve hot!

P.S. I avoided using the English version for the word 'landak' because I, well, just because! :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment