Friday, May 4, 2012

Moss Cake with Oreos

Entries in My Other Blogs :


I know that earlier on I said that I don't really fancy steamed cakes no matter how beautiful they may look or how delicious people say they are.  But, there's something about a trend that once you start it, you always feel like doing more and more of it; which, in my case is true!

You see, even though I don't fancy steamed cakes, I found myself making this particular cake called Moss Cake (or locally called Kek Lumut) probably named due to the cakes color which is a mossy shade of green.  But I can assure you, after I tweaked the recipe (I'm sure the original recipe, for which I thank Imelda of Master chef Malaysia, is quite delicious in itself) the cake just doesn't deserve the attachment of the word moss to it.  


  • 125g Nestum* Original
  • 1/2 cup caster sugar (I used brown sugar)
  • 1/2 cup condensed milk
  • 5 eggs (I used flour!)
  • 125g butter (I used margarine)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
  • 1 tsp green food coloring
  • 10 pairs Oreo biscuits (I added this!)


Beat the sugar and margarine until pale and creamy.  Add the eggs one at a time and stir in the condensed milk.  Then, mix in the Nestum* a little at time to ensure that it is thoroughly mixed.  Finally stir in the vanilla essence and the green food coloring.


Prepare a steamer with enough boiling water.  Grease the sides and line the base of a 3-inch x 8-inch rectangular cake tin.  Pour in half the batter and smooth the top.  Arrange ten Oreo biscuits (oh! remove the cream first!), cover the cake tin with foil and steam for 30 minutes.  Then take out the cake, pour the other half of the batter into the tin, smooth the mixture and arrange the rest of the biscuits on top.  Cover the tin again with the foil (remember to wipe any condensation from the foil) and continue to steam for another 45 minutes.  Wait for cake to cool before slicing since this is a very moist cake  (however, my kids and missus couldn't wait!)







No comments:

Post a Comment