Saturday, May 19, 2012

Layered Potato Bread Pie

Star Q


It's been quite some time since I made Layered Bread Pie.   In fact, it's been too long, I can't even remember the last I did make one!  Anyway, the only thing I still remember about the pie was that I only used bread to layer the pie (plus my siblings and parents loved it1)


But this time around, I decided to tweak it a little by layering the bread slices with slices of par-boiled potatoes arranged Potato Dauphinois style!  Since I know that having simply Potato Dauphinois alone would meet with my family's approval, so I made this instead.  I guess, of all the ingredients, the cheese was the piece de resistance!  Anyway, here's the recipe!

  • 4 slices ordinary sandwich bread, crust removed
  • 4 potatoes, par-boiled (half cooked), sliced thinly
  • 250g chicken meat, cubed
  • 1/2 cup petit pois
  • 1 cup chopped onions
  • 1 clove garlic, chopped
  • 1 tsp kurma powder
  • 1/2 tsp white pepper
  • 1/2 cup chicken stock
  • 1/2 cup cheddar
  • 1/2 cup pieces of mozzarella
  • 3 eggs, slightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 tbs vegetable oil

First prepare the filling.  Heat the oil in a pan and saute the onions until they soften.  Add in the garlic and kurma powder, followed by the chicken.  Pour in the chicken stock and simmer until the chicken pieces are cooked.  Then add in the petit pois, white pepper and salt to season, and continue to cook until there is very little moisture left.  Dish out the mixture and set aside to cool.

To assemble, slightly dip two pieces of the bread into the milk and arrange at the bottom of a greased casserole.  Next, spread a layer of the filling onto the bread.  Then, arrange a layer of the sliced potatoes on top of the filling.  Pour half of the beaten evenly over this layer.  Repeat the same process and end with a rough scattering of the two cheeses on top of the potato slices.

Bake in a preheated oven at 180 C for about 30 minutes or until the cheeses turn golden brown.  Best served slightly warm(-ish) so that when you slice the pie, the layers will remain intact!



No comments:

Post a Comment