Thursday, May 24, 2012

Cheat's Tiramisu

Star Q
ii.  Pindah!!!



There are some things you have fun doing them, and this cheat's version of Tiramisu is one of the many puddings that I had fun making.  Of course, I would like to begin by extending my sincere apologies to all Italians, for turning one of their national desserts into something less spectacular.  However, besides its simplicity (this version!) it does not lack the taste of the real thing (if my memory serves me right!)

Making this cheat's version of Tiramisu has been a long time coming because my better half has been asking for me to make it since the last time we had it at a certain secret cake shop.  Apparently she likes the pudding, and since the shop version costs an arm and a leg, and she knows that I have made it before (only once, using the correct ingredients many moons ago!) so she kindly whispers her request!  Well, the whisper worked!  I am, after all, a sucker for whispers (hers! hehe!)

  • 1 store-bought butter cake
  • 1 tsp instant coffee (I used Nescafe) with with 1/2 cup warm water
  • 200g whipping cream
  • 250g cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup icing sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
  • 3tbs cocoa powder

Beat the cream cheese and icing sugar until creamy.  Then beat in the whipping cream until soft peaks.  Gradually stir in the vanilla.  Set aside in the fridge.

Cut the cake into three slices to fit a rectangular cake tin (I used a 3" x 5" x 3.5" cake tin)  Line the tin with cling film.  Place one slice of the cake at the bottom of the tin and brush with the coffee.  Spread 1/3 of the cream cheese mixture on top then dust with cocoa powder.  Put another piece of the butter cake on top, brush some coffee, followed by another layer of cream and dusting of cocoa powder.  Place the last piece of cake on top.  Press slightly and put cake in the fridge for at least 4 hours.

Put the pudding on a serving plate.  Spread the top of the cake with the remaining cream mixture and final dusting of cocoa powder.











No comments:

Post a Comment