Monday, May 7, 2012

Mini Chicken Pies

Star Q :


This batch of mini chicken pies was made especially for tea today, at the request of my family members.  It was a grueling task trying to get everything done; from rolling the pastry, to lining the cupcake pan (yes! I used the cupcake pan!), to putting the filling and finally baking them.  Grueling because it was such a hot day, that initially, I didn't find the idea of baking pies by a hot oven, very appealing.  But the requests of my family came first (plus I love baking!)

On top of all these, I didn't have to make the short crust pastry, because I used the store-bought one! 

  • 250g chicken meat, cubed
  • 1 carrot, diced
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 1 stalk celery, diced
  • 1 large potato, diced
  • 1/2 packet Instant Chicken soup
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tsp white pepper
  • 2 tbs vegetable oil
  • Salt to taste
  • Short crust pastry (I used Kawan)

Heat the oil in a pan and sauce the onion until translucent.  Put in the chicken, stir for a minute and then add in the carrot, potato, celery and water.  Continue to simmer until the chicken is cooked and the potato is tender and there is about half cup of water left.  At this point, sprinkle the half packet of Instant Chicken soup.  Season with the salt and pepper and continue to simmer until most of the moisture has evaporated.  Dish out and cool completely.


Line the cupcake pan (I greased it with some margarine first!) with the pastry then put in about 2 tsp of the filling.  Cover with the remaining pastry and brush the tops with beaten egg yolk.  Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 C for about 30 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment