Friday, June 10, 2011

Sister's Sambal

I don't actually know the origin of the name of this chicken dish.  However, I seem to recall that my late mum used to call it by it's local name that is "Sambal Kakak" which when translated, literally means "Sister's Sambal".  Perhaps other people may call it (based on the similarity of the ingredients) by other names, but I know it by what my mother used to call it.  I used to love this dish, now it's one of my children's favourite.  They usually dig in once the dish is ready, and hence the single chicken portion in the picture, which I managed to save to immortalise in this foodie blog!
Anyway,  I say used to because, of late, I have started to reduce the consumption of coconut cream (one of the ingredients) and chicken!  But, once a while when I get an overwhelming request from my children, then I give in.  I only cook the dish, though!  It's that simple!
  • 1 chicken cut into 16 portions (I used a large one!)
  • 3 stalks lemon grass - grind
  • 5 large shallots - grind
  • 5 cloves garlic - grind
  • 1 thumb-size ginger - grind
  • 20 pieces dried chili - grind
  • 1 large "Asam Keping"
  • 6 cups coconut cream
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
Heat oil in a wok and saute the grounded spices until fragrant.  When the oil floats to the top add the chicken and let simmer for about 5 minutes.  And in the coconut cream and "Asam Keping" and simmer for another ten minutes or until chicken pieces are tender.  Season with salt and sugar to taste!

P.S. If "Asam Keping" is not available, substitute with two tablespoons of tamarind juice.



No comments:

Post a Comment