Saturday, June 18, 2011

Blueberry Cupcakes for 20th Father's Day!


Twenty years ago on the 11th of November, I became a dad.  I couldn't describe my feelings then and I still cannot describe it now because the emotions that encompass within the inner walls of this father's heart keeps changing all the time, running amok with a huge gamut of different feelings, but always with that sense of joy and wonder.

This twentieth year of being a father is just like father's day before this.  The day passed without any special celebrations because I prefer it that way.  I feel that being a father is not something you celebrate once a year but something that should be instilled in everyone all the year round.  Something that should be remembered by the children and fathers alike, because the fathers were once children too.


So, I guess to sum up all the accumulated memories (plus those that will be coming in the future) I thought it would be nice to show my appreciation at being a dad by making something special (to me at least!) for today.  I have always wanted to make blueberry cupcakes, so I guess, today was as special a day as any other, I decided to make a batch with some blueberries that I had bought a few days ago.

Suffice to say that the batch of blueberry cupcakes, once cooked, quickly disappeared, as soon as they were taken out of the oven, scoffed by my children and their mother too!  I was happy that they enjoyed the cupcakes and I guess this cake is always better eaten warm than cold.  Unfortunately, none of my children share my passion for baking, but if ever they ask me for the recipe (if ever!) they can always visit this blog for it.  Snigger!
  • 5 ounces caster sugar
  • 5 ounces self-raising flour
  • 4 ounces butter
  • 4 ounces fresh blueberry
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
Beat the butter and sugar until pale, then, beat in the eggs one at a time.  Fold the flour slowly followed by the vanilla essence.  Finally gently fold in the blueberries.  Bake in a 180 C oven for 15 to 20 minutes (or according to your oven!) Serve warm!


1 comment: