Thursday, November 21, 2013

Kek Mangga / Mango Cake

Star Q


The second of our mango trees is now bearing fruit; and lots of it.  I have been waiting eight years for it to bear fruits.  Some may say it is rather a long time to wait for a tree to bear fruits, but I guess it comes with not using any fertilizer for any of our fruit trees.  I guess it has something to do with being organic!

This cake which I adapted from allrecipes.com, turned out to be quite dense but moist because of the mangoes.  It's a good thing I only used half of the amount of mangoes stated in the original recipe.  It not, the cake would have turned out mushy and inedible.  I guess it depends whether your mangoes have high water content or not.  Anyway, the ingredients in the brackets are the twists I made to the recipe.

  • 250 g plain flour (I used cake flour)
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon (I only used 1/2 a teaspoon)
  • 2 tsp bicarbonate soda (I used 1 tsp bicarb and 1 tsp baking powder)
  • 1/2 tsp salt (I only used a pinch)
  • 250 g caster sugar (I used light brown)
  • 2 eggs
  • 175 ml vegetable oil
  • 400 g mangoes, peeled, stones removed and chopped (I only used 200 g)
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 4 tbs sultanas or raisins (I omitted this)

In a bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients.  Beat eggs with oil and add to the flour mixture (this is a very stiff batter)  Add  mangoes, lemon juice and rains.

Pour into a 8 inch x 5 inch x 3 inch cake tin.  Bake at 180 C for about 60 minutes or until skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.


No comments:

Post a Comment