Sunday, December 1, 2013

Tartlet Keju / Cheese Tartlets

Star Q
iii.  STPM 2013


It is the school holidays but for the whole November, I had been commuting back and forth to Palong 4 (a FELDA settlement in Negeri Sembilan) carrying out my duty as an STPM invigilator.  This is actually my seventeenth year in the invigilating business be they for STPM, SPM or PMR.  And during all those invigilations, I have had the opportunity to be the chief invigilator, assistant invigilator or just an ordinary invigilator.

And as usual, at the end of any invigilation (usually on the last day) I like to bring something I made from home for my fellow invigilators.  It is on this last day when we usually have a lot of paperwork to do and boxes of stationery to keep among other things.  And the food I bring from home help to keep our minds from thinking about how tired we were.  However, on the last day of STPM this year, there were only two of us invigilating, so I decided not to bring the tarlets to the exam centre.  Instead I brought something else for my chief invigilator and her family. !

These cheese tartlets are the same ones I made sometime back, using the same recipe for the tart shells.  But some of you may notice that the design on the tartlets are quite similar to the ones made by azlita of azlitamasammanis fame.  Unfortunately mine did not turn out to be as pretty as the ones she made.  Nevertheless, I am quite happy how mine turned out.  In fact I used Azlita's recipe for the filling which turned out better (my version used butter!).  Thanks Azlita!

Cheese filling
  • 250 g cream cheese
  • 50 g caster sugar
  • 1 whole egg size B
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla essence / lemon essence (I used vanilla )

Take the cheese out of the fridge 20 - 30 minutes before using.  Don't allow the cheese to completely get to room temperature.  Beat the cheese and sugar until creamy.  Then beat the egg and vanilla essence.  Put filling into a piping bag.

Squirt a little big of filling (I used strawberry filling) onto the base of the tart shell.  Then pipe the cheese filling until full to the brim of the shell.  Draw designs on the tart surface; my daughter drew a cat on her cheese tarlet!  Bake in a preheated oven at 170 C for about 10 minutes (my oven!) or until the surface of the tart filling feels firm to the touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment