Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Croissant Bread Pudding

Star Q


One of the things I like to buy when I do my stop-overs at supermarkets is to buy croissants.  Sometimes I buy them because I want to have them for breakfast, but most of the time I buy them because I just want to.  In my mind, when I buy them, I see them being turned into sandwiches with tuna or salmon and the likes.  But sometimes, the croissants just lie in the bread tin, forgotten; until it almost reaches it's use-by-date!

That's the time when the missus starts nagging about buying food, putting it aside for later and eventually forgetting to eat them, as is the case with this three pieces of croissants.  So, to avoid being nagged at and to save the croissants from being thrown away, this time I decided to turn them into a pudding, as in bread pudding.

  • 3 pieces croissants, simply torn into small-ish pieces
  • 1 canned peach, diced into small cubes
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 750 ml milk
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 tbs light brown sugar
  • Butter for greasing

Grease a 6 inch x 4 inch baking dish.  Arrange the croissants into the dish.  Place some of the peaches in between the croissant pieces and strew some on top.

Meanwhile preheat the oven to 180 C.  Mix the milk, egg, vanilla and cinnamon together.  Then carefully pour mixture onto the croissants.  Set aside for 15 minutes to allow the croissant to soak up almost all the liquid.

Bake the pudding about 50 minutes.  I baked the pudding covered with aluminium foil for 40 minutes and for the remaining 10 minutes uncovered.  Serve the pudding warm, with some strawberry sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment