Saturday, November 2, 2013

Lasagna Roti / Bread Lasagna

Star Q


There are many ways how you can use leftover bread, and I must say there is always some bread that has probably been lying around in the pantry for more than three days.  Other than turning the bread into breadcrumbs and bread pudding, I am often at my wits end trying to figure out what to do with them.

Well, recently I was fortunate enough to learn of another way on how to use leftover bread.  It was during one of the potlucks that we so often have at my work place, that I learned about this from a colleague.  I was happy that I managed to broaden my leftover bread recipe repertoire.  In fact, I was so happy that she was willing to share the recipe, I even kept the name, even though it didn't really look like a lasagna.

  • 10 slices sandwich bread, cut into fingers, crust removed
  • 300 g minced chicken meat
  • 1 onion, finely diced
  • 2 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tsp cumin powder
  • 1/2 tsp coriander powder
  • 3 tbs tomato ketchup
  • 1 tsp chicken stock granules
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 5 eggs, slightly beaten
  • 150 ml fresh milk
  • 1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese
  • 3 tbs vegeable oilonce 
  • Plus extra for greasing

Heat the vegetable oil in a pan and saute the onion and garlic.  Next add in the cumin and coriander powder and stir until aromatic.  Add in the chicken meat and continue to cook until chicken turns opaque.  Stir in the tomato ketchup and water and continue to cook for a further 7 to 8 minutes, or until the mixture is almost dry.

Preheat oven to 180 C.  Mix the egg and the milk.  Grease a casserole and line the base with half of the bread.  Pour half of the egg/milk mixture onto the bread, allow to soak for about 3 minutes.  Then spread the filling on top.  Lay the rest of he bread on top of the filling, pour the rest of the egg/milk mixture on top and spread the Cheddar cheese evenly.  Once again, allow the bread to soak the egg/milk mixture.

Bake for about 30 minutes covered with foil and another 10 minutes uncovered.  The dish is cooked when the top turns golden brown.  Serve immediately or warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment