Sunday, January 6, 2013

Rapid Ricotta Cake

Star Q

It is really amusing to me when once in a while I find something different in the nearby supermarket.  You know the feeling of excitement when a small kid gets a new toy!  That's how I felt when I noticed the supermarket selling Ricotta!  Those of you fortunate enough to get a variety of cheeses in your local supermarket would probably laugh at me for being happy at the sight of a mere Ricotta!

I consider myself lucky when they have the odd Cheddar and Parmesan (ready grated!) in the cold section of the supermarket.  But, when they have Ricotta, I was overjoyed!  I shudder to think how I would react if they were to have Brie or Gouda or fresh Mozzarella!

Anyway, even with such a seldom-seen product like Ricotta, I still prefer to use it in something simple.  Hence, this simple Rapid Ricotta Cake.
  • 3 tbs Ricotta
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 tbs soft brown sugar
  • 4 oz SR flour
  • 4 oz butter
  • 1 banana, mashed
  • 5 strawberries, hulled and sliced
  • 2 tbs caster sugar

Preheat oven at 180 C and grease and line a 6-inch cake tin.  Mix flour, butter, sugar, eggs and Ricotta until just combined.  Then, stir in the banana.  Pour into prepared cake tin, level the top and bake for about 20 - 25 minutes.  Leave to cool completely. once cooked

Combine the strawberries and caster sugar and leave to macerate for about half an hour.  Serve slices of the cake with some macerated strawberries.

Note : This cake is a bit heavy and dense.  It can also be baked as muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment